Monday, June 29, 2009

Lesson from a Wedding

I learned something this weekend: Marriage is a BIG DEAL. It is not just "hey you're cute let's get married". It is a promise. It is forever.
This weekend my best friend Taylor got married. For the past four years I have seen her and Browning's relationship bloom and it has been a beautiful thing to witness. These two did it right. I have always said I wanted to somehow mirror their relationship for they were about other people and not just themselves. During the rehearsal dinner, people were praising God for such great friends and admiring their character and impact towards others. It was a night of praise and celebration. During all the toasts, I had some thoughts...
In the past I have thrown the idea of marriage around as if it were a toy. (typical Baylor) It was FUN to think about marrying someone. It was FUN to talk about it. In theory, I took this relationship seriously; but in reality I did not realize how one's life changes once they say "I do." I am thankful for this realization. I am now aware of the seriousness of this commitment. It is a BIG DEAL....and with the right person, an GOOD DEAL ;)

Therefore if you have any encouragement from being united with Christ, if any comfort from his love, if any common sharing in the Spirit, if any tenderness and compassion, then make my joy complete by being like-minded, having the same love, being one in spirit and of one mind. Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves, not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interest of the others. Philippians 2: 1-4

No comments: